Experimental Techniques

What comes to mind when I mention "experimental painting techniques"?

Bizarre materials? Weird implements? Unusual or untried ways of painting? yes/no? 

Well, it can mean all of those things but it also can mean "ideas which create problems for solving". Some of the techniques I use to achieve "creating problems" can be scraping, pouring, collage, finger painting, scratching out lines....just to name a few!

And yes, I use unusual tools like a grout spreader, plastic wrap, trowels, brayers, aluminum foil...along with the usual brushes, palette knife, stencils, etc.

Experimental painting keeps my work fresh and alive and challenges me to find a depth of creativity within myself which can often be allusive. The element of surprise from experimental techniques makes the work....fun!

What challenges you to dig deeper in your painting journey? Would love to hear your thoughts! 

The underpainting for Waterfall gave me exciting ideas about how to achieve the mass of water cascading down the rocky slopes. 


Underpainting for Waterfall
Mixed media using inks, acrylics
Plastic wrap overlaid

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End Of Day

Caught In A Rut?

Intimidation