Introspection

With isolation during this time, I find myself being far more introspective than usual. Do you find yourself asking questions like....what's the point of painting every day when no one can view my work? how can I sit down to create when I feel so alone...or so stressed out....or so tired. And when good news does come, the doubt that going out will just spread the virus further weighs on your mind? What do artists do in times like this....well.... I for one, do not give in to the negatives! I may be the only one who ever views my artwork during this time (except for friends on social media, of course) but I will keep going to the studio each day because that's what I do. I paint. I organize. I sketch. I take photos and catalog my work. I experiment.

I've found that without any pressure to produce, my work has taken a new turn toward a more non objective style. I look at paintings from several years ago and realize an evolution has taken place. I've found a new joy in markmaking - in layering - in using collage - in sketching without purpose - and sanding (yep! don't know how I've lived without a reciprocal sander! in my art tool box!).

How are you doing with your art making during this time? Here are a few tips to take home... Identify what you really enjoy doing in life as well as in your art practices. The two go hand in hand. And two, don't be so tough on yourself right now....accept yourself and your art without negativism! You might find that without the pressure to produce that masterpiece, you will find your own voice resonating from the paper or canvas. And you just might experience a newfound freedom in creating.

Until next time....smile often!
carlyn

Ink on Paper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End Of Day

Intimidation

Caught In A Rut?